Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Union: I am myself and I am the Mask

What if I ever were my own man?

I sit alone, wondering; what if I did not have a Mask? Would I be any more or less of a man then I am today? Would my triumphs or travails be any less pronounced? Much as I like you Mask and much as I am now mortally dependant upon you; I still sometimes long for independence. I do wish to live a day in the life of the protagonist who never wore a Mask.

Such a day would begin with divine emptiness perhaps, for their will be not much to think and plan for. Such a day will wear on amidst vast luxuriousness of a forsaken wasteland and will end with no sense of gain or loss; for today would be no different from yesterday and nor will tomorrow bring more hope.

That is how I would be without my Mask, without my omnipresent friend.

I have made my choice, I have acknowledged the fact that no person on this land lives without a Mask. Many deny the existence, scoff at the dependence; but such is the extent of ignorance that even as they raise the rhetoric in denial they do not realize that it is the Mask of false bravado who speaks for them that very moment!

As more people read our letters, the more they feel intrigued, somewhat uncertain. People now wish to know who they are talking to when they are with ‘me’. I believe it is natural impulse, to know if they are being manipulated, lied to. This is not what I wish to do; I do not wish to raise insecurities. I just wish to talk and tell myself and others about the Masks that we wear. The Mask that I wear with people is forever the person I am; once they have known me and my Mask, they will forever talk to both of us; together.

The introvert me, with the extrovert Mask; the ambitious me, with the laidback Mask; the docile me; with the beastly Mask. Together we make for a complete package of sorts, as you complete me; you help me complete relationships. You are the missing piece in my quest for a perfect self and if you help me complete the puzzle of my life, you must be good for those who love me and seek happiness through me.

I worry no more about the shadows of my past; I believe my destiny is firmly in place. The churn has to now happen and much baggage needs to be left behind. People and memories who have outlived their relevance in my life need to be left behind with respect or neglect and new chapters now need to be added.  With this churn must also go some of the Masks which have no more use for me.  

As a new life begins, the great sense of acceptance warms my heart. This morning, like the others in recent past, I forced myself to smile and sing songs when I woke up. I know it is you who smiles and sings for me; but I do not complain for the song lives in my heart all day long and the smile lingers on.

A small surrender made to find happiness with in!

The Face

1 Comments:

Blogger Winnie the poohi said...

The introvert me, with the extrovert Mask; the ambitious me, with the laidback Mask; the docile me; with the beastly Mask. Together we make for a complete package of sorts, as you complete me; you help me complete relationships. You are the missing piece in my quest for a perfect self and if you help me complete the puzzle of my life, you must be good for those who love me and seek happiness through me.

Ah why do you try to see in black n white? Where are the shades of gray ??

January 4, 2009 at 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home